Have you wondered how a dissertation coach could be of help to you?
A week ago, I received an email from a person who had almost given up on her dissertation. She said, “There is so much baggage that arises whenever I even think about finishing (I’m stupid, my massive debts, fear of the future . . . ) that the notion itself magnetically repels me into a state of serial procrastination.”
I frequently receive email of this kind. Many ABD’s who contact me feel isolated and have started to catastrophize.
Based on my experience, Dissertation Boot Camp and Dissertation Coaching give strategically focused approaches that lead to finished dissertations.
To people who are stuck and not working on their dissertations, I say: “As awful as you feel and as dreadful as I feel for you, I know that writing each day for a two-week period will go a long way toward your establishing a writing habit. And regular coaching will be of critical help.”
• Dissertation Boot Camp and Dissertation Coaching are the quickest and most effective ways of helping you form a daily writing habit.
• Forming a daily writing habit is essential to your success.
• Dissertation Boot Camp and Dissertation Coaching will help you to establish daily, manageable goals for your writing sessions.
• After establishing daily goals, take the next step and break your goals into daily plans with specifics. Having a plan with specifics will make showing up and actually writing something each day easier than it has ever been before for you.
• To continue to solidify your writing habit, set a specific time for when you will start your writing session.
• Write into your plan how long your writing session will be, how long your breaks will be, and when you will take a day off. Plan to take time off to relax and to be with other people.
• If you have committed to the Dissertation Boot Camp approach, you will be accountable for each writing session. Did you do what you said you would do? What worked? What didn’t work? What needs fixing?
• Put in writing what you will work on during the next writing session. Be specific– give yourself key words or bullet points to work from.
•If you, too, want to find a way into your dissertation, consider dissertation coaching.
All good wishes,
Nancy Whichard, Ph.D., PCC
Your International Dissertation Coach and Academic Career Coach
Read Full Post »